- Getting started walking
- Tips for walking with diabetes
- How often should I exercise?
- How many calories will I burn?
- Is walking a good workout?
- Warm up for walking
- Walking for health
- Pregnancy and walking
- Walking can help our overweight youngsters
- Walking helps in fight against obesity
- Avoid travel chaos: walk to work!
- Diet Coke nutrition info
- 10 reasons to take up walking
- Walking facts
- Finding motivation
- How a good walk can help with stress
- A cliff with a view: New Quay walk
- St Nicholas, Vale of Glamorgan
- Bawsey Church near King's Lynn, Norfolk
- Walking Facts and Figures
- Rambling: how to get started
- Footpath Erosion
- Advice and Information for Leaders of Rambles
- An Introduction to the Hadrian's Wall Path
- An Introduction to the Pennine Way
- An Introduction to the Coast to Coast Walk
- An Introduction to the Cotswold Way
- Public Rights of Way FAQ
- A Guide to Walking in Britain
- More Than a Walk
How many calories will I burn?
You will burn almost the same number of calories whether you walk or run for a mile - the major difference is you'll get there faster running. Things change a bit depending on your fitness levels and bodyweight, but this is a good general rule. This doesn't mean we should all give up running; running will place a greater strain on the aerobic system and increase fitness at a greater rate than walking. Walking however, will put less strain on the joints. Both are excellent forms of exercise.
Calories burned walking
|Speed/Pounds||100 lb||120 lb||140 lb||160 lb||180 lb||200 lb||220 lb||250 lb||275 lb||300 lb|
How can I work out how many calories?
Go here for an excellent calculator.