- Getting started walking
- Tips for walking with diabetes
- How often should I exercise?
- How many calories will I burn?
- Is walking a good workout?
- Warm up for walking
- Walking for health
- Pregnancy and walking
- Walking can help our overweight youngsters
- Walking helps in fight against obesity
- Avoid travel chaos: walk to work!
- Diet Coke nutrition info
- 10 reasons to take up walking
- Walking facts
- Finding motivation
- How a good walk can help with stress
- A cliff with a view: New Quay walk
- St Nicholas, Vale of Glamorgan
- Bawsey Church near King's Lynn, Norfolk
- Walking Facts and Figures
- Rambling: how to get started
- Footpath Erosion
- Advice and Information for Leaders of Rambles
- An Introduction to the Hadrian's Wall Path
- An Introduction to the Pennine Way
- An Introduction to the Coast to Coast Walk
- An Introduction to the Cotswold Way
- Public Rights of Way FAQ
- A Guide to Walking in Britain
- More Than a Walk
Getting started walking
- walking boots are a must for any serious walker, as they cushion the feet and protect the ankles. Choose carefully and find a pair that are comfortable and suit your feet.
- due to the British climate it is a good idea always to carry light waterproofs.
- don't forget to take food and drink, whether for an enjoyable picnic or as an energy-provider later on.
- an Ordnance Survey map will help you find your way and tell you what you're looking at. The Ramblers' Association maintains a Map Library for the use of its members.
- for short walks it is easiest to carry all your items in a small rucksack (a 'daysack').
It's obvious that a winter walk in the hills of the Lake District or the Scottish Highlands is a very different proposition to a summer ramble in Norfolk or the Cotswolds. If you are new to hillwalking first join more experienced friends, or go on a walk organised by a Ramblers' Association Group or a national park authority.
It is also wise to learn to navigate properly using both a map and compass, to understand about rights of way and where you are allowed to walk, as well as the basics of safety when walking in the great outdoors.
Interested in poker? You can play poker online for money at poker rooms like Party Poker